Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wisdom of a four year old...

This morning Olivia sat with me while I got ready for work. She taught me all about the water cycle, in case I didn't know; learned a new word, evaporation; and offered me a bit of advice. The conversation went like this...

Olivia: Sissa, do you want to get married or what?
Me: Yes, I do want to get married.
Olivia: Then why don't you just take care of it?
Me: Well, it isn't that simple. You have to find someone you want to marry and they have to want to marry you back.
Olivia: Oh. Do you know anyone you want to marry?
Me: Maybe.
Olivia: Okay, then what you have to do is impress him. You have to get real fancy, like wear your fanciest clothes. Then you have to call him on the phone and invite him to go to the ball or maybe dinner. Tell him to wear his fanciest clothes or if he doesn't have fancy clothes, then his best clothes. Then you can dance and eat dinner. Try to be really nice to him. Okay, Sissa?
Me: Hmmm...is that all I have to do?
Olivia: Of course! You're nice. I think he will be impressed by your fanciness and niceness.
Me: Ok, I'll work on it.
Olivia: Good. Now can I have some smarties or what?

If only I had known that all it takes to be married is to be impressive and that being impressive consists of fancy clothes, a ball or dinner, and a dose of nice. Olivia should have arrived with this advice earlier. It is pretty impressive.

3 comments:

  1. There is some most excellent nuggets of advice here. If only I knew of a ball, or the fella, or owned any fancy clothes. Or wasn't breaking the cardinal rule of ball-breaking boundary-crossing by asking him out and then (the audacity!) treating him nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see her telling you all this ;) I miss when relationships looked simple, too bad we have to grow up~ love ya!

    ReplyDelete