Monday, March 14, 2011

A lesson from the single life...

I don't usually begrudge the fact I'm in my thirties and single. This is largely due to the fact that I feel like my life is full and beautiful. I have many talents. I've been given many gifts. I am industrious and hard working. I learned long ago the quiet joy found in being alone. I also learned to be alone. I am generous. I am honest. I know myself and I like keeping company with myself. I have wonderful family and many friends.

The above self realizations make my life fulfilling, even if it isn't exactly what I planned for it to be. I do still want to be married and to have babies of my own, but I am also content to know that they will come in their own time, in their own way.

The above self realizations have also made me picky in choosing a partner. Maybe because I have found contentment in my life as it is, I am not rushing towards a life that isn't just as satisfying or beautiful. In other words, I am looking for an asset, not a liability. I am looking for a partner, not a piranha. I am looking for an equal, not perfect, but at least equitable. I will settle for nothing less.

This resolve was reinforced on Saturday night when I attended the party of a friend. I knew almost no one there, except for the girls throwing the party. So, I was fortunate enough to spend the time talking to them and watching everything else going on. What I observed was a room full of beautiful, educated, articulate, successful women with degrees and professions and self awareness trying to make conversation with sub-par and very awkward men. Two of them couldn't stop talking about Star Wars. One of them made up some persona about being a make up artist. (In Utah, really)? The others stood awkwardly silent unless asked a question. From the conversations I heard none of them had valid or valuable professions or interesting lives. In fact, beyond their membership in the church, there was not a single attractive thing about any of them.

If this resonates as bitterness, I promise it isn't. If it sounds trite and contrived, it isn't that either. It was just an evening of observations that reconfirmed my resolve to find an asset and not settle for anything less. Because, dear hearts, do you really want to spend eternity, or even a lifetime, with a doldrum?

5 comments:

  1. wish I could have sat and observed with you -- been having the similar thoughts recently! miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been noticing the same and echo your statement! Preach it Miss B <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an intriguing phenomenon, no? Worthy of observation, certainly. But never worth settling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there is an overabundance of these types lurking at every party. Sad...but true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sentiments and I agree whole-heartedly. I've heard it said that as single LDS women get older, they get better BUT as single LDS MEN get older, they get worse. So anyone above age 25ish looking to get married is searching in a pool of opposites. Whatev. Like you said, all things in their due time. Love you!

    ReplyDelete