Wednesday, April 4, 2012

This life punctuated with loneliness...

I thought if I married
the loneliness punctuating my life
would evaporate,
would burn off like darkness in the morning.

I thought I would breathe
clear and still
and I would forget what it felt like--
not to be loved.

Now nights find me waking,
listening
to the slow even rhythm of your breathing,
the heavy weight of your chest rising,
the soundless exhale of its resolution.

I don't know where you dream.

The familiarity of you wakes me in the mornings--
the gait of your footfall,
the scratch of your razor,
the tune hummed while dressing,
your humming toothbrush--

And I wonder about being loved;
what is feels like not to be loved,
and while I'm thinking,
while my eyes are still closed,

you leave without saying goodbye.
--mb

1 comment:

  1. This inspires my want, my need to write something. Anything. Good job, friend. Very good job. "the loneliness punctuating my life / would evaporate"=my favorite bit.

    ReplyDelete