Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A little stack of squares...

I have a love of office supplies. Little things like colored push pins and freshly sharpened pencils make me exceedingly happy. There is just something about the smell of toner ink; the feel of a full and perfect ream of paper ripped from its wrapper. I like to visit office supply stores and buy nothing. I have a larger than the average girl's collection of paper, pens, markers, and glue. Just seeing these things gives me quiet joy.

Today, I opened my desk drawer to find an entire, brand new, unopened package of colored post-it notes. (This was a present from my lovely friend Jess who is charge of office supply ordering--she is so lucky)! When it comes to office supplies post-it notes are the creme de la creme. What could be better than little pads of paper already equipped with a strip of adhesive? They are ready and willing participants for random rantings, important information, daily doodles, notes to friends. They are a catalog for daily thoughts of genius. They make surprisingly accurate paper airplanes.

I know I shouldn't be so happy about something so small. Most people would say, "Post-its? Are you kidding?" To them I answer, "You obviously don't understand the love of office supplies." I also think finding a smile in something as insignificant as adhesive backed paper is a reflection of character. It shows an awareness of the little things that make up a life. It represents the choices we make everyday. For me, I choose to be happy. I choose to find too much joy in the world's small gifts. I choose to smile at things as unimportant as a little stack of squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment