Sunday, October 3, 2010

Adventures in house buying...

I am in the process of buying a house. It has been an exhausting and frustrating adventure. Hands down house hunting is the worst of activities because there exists a significant gap at what we want and what we can afford. Looking at what I can afford has been disheartening. Questions about money and regrets about choosing a career with such limited earning potential have come to the forefront, making themselves nuisances, instead of remaining in the background where they belong.

After touring some good houses in questionable neighborhoods, some questionable houses in good neighborhoods, and many questionable houses in questionable neighborhoods...I finally found a gem. The neighborhood is good. The house is good. The price is good, and I am one step closer to having my own space. Somewhere that is really mine, not a temporary stopping place. Somewhere I can fully occupy and not have to abandon in a year or two.

There is some red tape and papers to sign. I won't move in until November, but now that I know it is coming, I find myself worrying less. In fact, all I can think about is possibility. Possibility and paint colors.

3 comments:

  1. Wait- I thought you were going to buy our house!! There is a cute house on our street...tempting? :) How exciting for a soon-to-be home owner- congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete