Monday, May 31, 2010

Graduation Day...

Well folks, I did it! I graduated from Westminster on Saturday. I have officially received a Master of Arts in Teaching. It has been a long and hard road, but worth all the effort. I'm a teacher. I cannot wait to start.

The graduation ceremony was, well, overrated. It was long and boring. Both the student speaker and the commencement key note were hard to follow and used their time as a forum for their own personal and political views. I wanted inspiration, but found nothing except my own thoughts. My friends had found mimosa induced bliss and I kept thinking I should have had some champagne.

When they finally called my name, I was hooded and diplomaed ceremoniously. I felt very proud and though my moment in the spotlight was short, I'm glad I did it. I looked up and my mom was crying. My brothers and sister in laws were clapping. Steven and Cristi (who lasted through the whole ceremony) were cheering. It was great to look up and see the most important people in my life there watching. I wouldn't have made it without them.

Afterwards, we had dinner at my mom's house, and more friends came to show their love and support. (The Yates clan was excused because of a family emergency). Brenna brought me a darling bag, markers, and a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. Amber gave me an owl punch I can't wait to use. Jess gave me a gift card for books. Cristi and my mom brought flowers. Steven brought me a pair of homemade pants filled with smarties, "smarty pants." We talked and laughed and had a great time.

I am so blessed to have a life filled with such wonderful people. Both my family and my friends have been so important in shaping and supporting my life. Each person has made an impact on who I am, what I've done, and where I am going. I am grateful to each of them. I would not be the same without them. My life would not be the same without them.

So, to each of you, my family and friends, whether you are reading this or not, I am thinking of you today. Thank you. I love you more than I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment