Thursday, May 13, 2010

Life on the flip side...

I've been done with grad school for almost two weeks and have been feeling a bit lost now that I have so much time to spend leisurely. I've read several books and knitted a cowl and a pair of slippers. Still, I keep thinking I need something to do. I have found myself looking at other Master's programs online and browsing community education brochures longingly. What is wrong with me? Can I not have one blissful summer without learning something? Don't I remember my huge, and now looming, student loan? In reality, I do not have the energy or the money to start another degree right now, but I still keep looking.

To appease the beast, I signed up for a book making workshop for educators that teaches 13 different ways to make class books using regular 8 1/2 by 11" paper. It was free and I am really excited about it. I also signed up to take a book binding class at the studio this fall. I have wanted to take the class for several years, so I am very excited about that as well. Hopefully, I can feed my education need with little classes that aren't as expensive as another degree.

I wonder what the pull is to learning and I think it must have something to do with progression. I feel happy when I am learning something. It makes me feel satisfied and whole. It keeps my head quiet and my soul centered. I sometimes think about life as a road. We travel along and stop at places that look interesting. Sometimes we stay awhile. Sometimes we turn around immediately and try to get away without looking rude. We get tired and road worn. We are refreshed and renewed. We see long stretches of nothing and then long stretches of sky, mountains in the distance, the promise of another bend. We see storms and sunsets. We keep walking because we have too and walking because we want too. I have had a good journey and I look forward to the road ahead; to a whole life of learning new things and finding new places. I think the next stop will be one on composting and square foot gardening, but you never can tell what will come up. Whatever it is, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment