Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Joining the society...

I am currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is a little gem of a book and I highly recommend it to anyone with any spare time. It is written in letters, which is lovely if you only have a few minutes to read at the end of the day. It is well written and heart warming. In fact, I have caught myself unintentionally smiling while reading it, which is always a good sign. I am about halfway through, so I can't say what the rest will be, but if the end is anything like the beginning, then I expect more loveliness and smiles to follow.

As a side note, I miss reading. My time for recreational reading has been significantly limited over the last year. It is almost like being seperated from an old, and dear, friend. I moved to the basement several weeks ago and was finally able to unpack my books from storage. They have been boxed away for almost two years. A friend came to help me unpack and she kept laughing because I was smiling at the books and touching them affectionately. She said that every few minutes, she would hear a contented sigh. I accept this willingly. My books are one of my joys and I missed them.

"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to there perfect readers." I have a story about that too, but it is a story for a different day. Happy reading, friends!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you're enjoying. Teaching sucks the reading life right out of you, doesn't it? Guernsey was my first read of the summer last summer--I was reminded all over again why I love reading so. Do people truly understand this fondness for books we have? I can't help it--each book I read (and love) eases itself into the soul of me. I'm part of who I am because of them.

    ReplyDelete